>>Back to Past Projects
Project: Fan Shirt
Date: Summer 2002
This project was made specifically for Burningman 2002. It was completed in
just a few days. There were three driving factors behind making this vest.
- Burningman is really hot, this might help me keep cool
- I was already working with fan art
- I had a bunch of glow stuff to wear at night, but nothing electronic for
This project consists of just a few simple parts.
- 18 large fans
- 20 small fans
- locking power connector from a old RAID storage device
- 2 6V lantern batteries in series
Besides getting lots of compliments, on what seemed to be a first for burningman
a few other results came of this outfit. The Center Camp Cafe gave me a free
ice coffee, because the liked the fan shirt so much. Wendy and I had problems
riding our art vehicle together because my fan shirt would scrap her chest.
Several people asked to have photographs of it, and see the fans spin. It wasn't
until late in the summer of 2003 did I change the battery pack. I had been using
four nine-volts in parallel. This configuration was silly. The 9Vs would stop
spinning the fans after ten minutes. I switched over to a 12V configuration
using two large lantern batteries, which were capable of spinning the fans for
hours on end.